Welcome to MissouriBendStudio!

This is an online journal of my artistic investigations and a way to communicate about my work, ideas, quandries and queries! I welcome comments and conversation and do hope you enjoy these musings. My artwork is available in my shop MissouriBendStudio on Etsy.com or on my website.

Translate

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Astonished














We all have a point of view and a view of the world, of the cosmos, the macro and the micro of the universe.  I'm still reading Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard and am astonished, page after page, by the beauty and poetry of the writing and by the infinite worlds that open up.  It's like having a piece of divine chocolate or some other confection that is so rich and good, you can only take small bites at a time or you will be completely overwhelmed.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, I read this book over twenty years ago and today I came across a passage that I had highlighted as a much younger me...I was astounded all over again, by this bit and by the immensity of all there is to comprehend....here's a snippet of my reading from today...

"If you analyze a molecule of chlorophyll itself, what you get is one hundred thirty six atoms of hydrogen, carbon, oxygen, and nitrogen arranged in an exact and complex relationship around a central ring.  At the ring's center is a single atom of magnesium.  Now: If you remove the atom of magnesium and in its exact place put an atom of iron, you get a molecule of hemoglobin.  The iron combines with all the other atoms to make red blood...."

We're all so interconnected in such a vast and delicate web, fleeting and eternal.

Pictured here is the view from where I sit to embroider on painted paper and make the daily found text poems for my other blog http://www.missouribendpaperworks.blogspot.com.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm happy to hear from you...comments and questions are welcome!