Welcome to MissouriBendStudio!

This is an online journal of my artistic investigations and a way to communicate about my work, ideas, quandries and queries! I welcome comments and conversation and do hope you enjoy these musings. My artwork is available in my shop MissouriBendStudio on Etsy.com or on my website.

Translate

Monday, May 14, 2012

Doing and Being

May 8, 2012

May 9, 2012

May 10, 2012

Hello dear friends! I fully intended to do a post last Friday, but, the day escaped a little too rapidly. The daily drawings above would have been posted then, so I'm now playing catch-up....of course you can find all the dailies over at MissouriBendMusings. Maybe the reason I didn't post is that I'm finding that I'm spending a little more time "being" rather than "doing" when I'm not at work in the library. I have realized how "on the go" I always feel, as if there are never enough hours in the day (which, as we all know, there just aren't!), but that if I don't take time to "process" experiences, I'm out of sorts and kind of exhausted. Just a gentle reminder to myself that being is as important as doing.  I spend time now reading on either the front porch, which is sheltered from the wind, or on the back deck looking out over the river. For me, reading comes under the heading of "being," as I can go at my own pace and savor it all very slowly. So, as soon as I finish this post, it's back to "being" out on the deck....with my wonderful husband, a glass of wine and my latest book! Cheers....but before I go, the most recent dailies are now in the shop and here, for a quick peek!  For other views and details, you are welcome to visit MissouriBendMusings. Have a great week and many thanks for the continued support and cheer coming from all corners of the earth!!

May 11, 2012

May 12, 2012

May 13. 2012

May 14, 2012


19 comments:

  1. Well, now May 9 has replaced May 4 as my new favorite. And not just because it has an all too familiar lately rainy day feeling!

    By the way, if you get the sensation of a presence on the deck, that's only me visiting in spirit. Next time please have an extra glass of red ready!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, certainly....you must come here, as the weather has been absolutely perfect! Not a cloud in the sky, perfect temperatures. The bottle of Bogle Petit Syrah is open on the counter....you can pour yourself a glass on the way out to the back! Look forward to seeing you soon....or at least feeling your presence! And so glad you like May 9th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am full of admiration that despite how busy you are, you make the time to do your dailies ...... I agree with you about being and doing . Sometimes you just have to stop and be and I don't think we do that enough. A few days ago I just stopped for two whole days and read. Can't remember when I last did that and I think if we did more often, there would be no need to do it for two whole days! No guilt though .......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, good for you! Certainly no guilt for spending two days readings....it's like breathing, don't you think? You are taking in language, like air, so necessary for the keeping us alive and creative! I'm spending much more time reading now....something I somehow didn't allow myself to do when I was a "full time" artist! Thank you for your support and good cheer!

      Delete
  4. Simply exquisite. I'm in total awe of your work with tea bags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer....thank you so much!!! So glad you enjoy them!

      Delete
  5. The joy of being 'retired' is that I can have a lot of 'being' hours. There is always something to 'do', never enough time to just 'be'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it true....even being retired (lucky you!)....there still isn't enough time to go around! Hope you can find the balance between being and doing! Thanks for your comment, Penny!

      Delete
  6. cheers to being time! lovely lovely dailies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And cheers to you Anca!!! It's now time for being.....in bed with my book! Thank you for the kind words about the dailies, my friend!

      Delete
  7. What a sweet life you've created, despite the anticipation of time taken from your artwork with your library job. So pleased to read of the balance you are making. Love the tenderness it has brought to your first 2 dailies: May 8 and 9 are so beautiful; and I'm sure there's a message in the hieroglyphics of May 10th ! Great to see you carrying on Patti.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorraine...thank you for your kind words! There is a delicate balance achieved most of the time, it seems. I appreciate what I have....these days more than ever...and am thankful for everything. Best wishes to you!

      Delete
  8. I loved this post and it fit right in with my frame of mind. I just put my shop "on vacation" for a month so I can spend much needed time "being" - with family, friends, home, and garden. It will be a change to take a break from all the doing...I'm sure I'll be doing a quilt here and there during the month, but I want to see what it's like not to for a bit...although truth to tell I'm already missing it! I'll be around in the garden till the end of the month, but then I'm going on a 100% technology fast for a couple of weeks. I've done that periodically and it is sooooo wonderful! Take care, Karen Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Good for you Karen Anne! Giving yourself permission is a huge thing and I applaud you! This tardy comment will, of course, come during your technology fast, but I will be interested to hear of all you are doing and learning while the plug is pulled....best wishes!

      Delete
  9. Hi Patti,

    I seem to be in a similar frame of mind these days. :) I love the imagery and the compatibility of May 11, 12 and 13, and the grace and beauty of May 14. Best. . . Gloria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gloria....it is interesting to see what happens on these dailies each time I sit down....sometimes it's random marks and other days there is much more order and image. I love the rhythm of doing something each day....hope you have a fine summer full of creative flow!

      Delete
  10. Loving May 9th and feeling the contentment in this post and the next. Reading on the deck with hubby and a glass of wine sounds pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Robyn....thanks....yes, life is pretty good these days. Doesn't hurt that the weather is gorgeous and the garden is in fairly good shape with flowers blooming, hummingbirds and orioles at the feeders.....and best of all, the river isn't flooding! Great to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear from you...comments and questions are welcome!