Welcome to MissouriBendStudio!

This is an online journal of my artistic investigations and a way to communicate about my work, ideas, quandries and queries! I welcome comments and conversation and do hope you enjoy these musings. My artwork is available in my shop MissouriBendStudio on Etsy.com or on my website.

Translate

Monday, September 24, 2012

Savor

Greetings and welcome to Autumn, one of my favorite seasons. Oh, forget that....I love them all, actually. It seems that each one rolls around just as you are ready to move on and be rid of the last season. I am welcoming Fall with open arms....crisp nights, slowing changing leaves, earthy autumn scents in the air.

Johntimothy and I have moved beyond the first phase of our change of diet lifestyle and have moved beyond the part where you cut out a lot of things, one of which was dairy. I missed cheese, but more than anything I missed the half and half in my morning tea. The first morning I added the cream back into my tea, I was on top of the world and sat quietly, enjoying every moment of that rich flavor. Of course, I realized even at the time what I was doing was savoring that tea after the absence of the thing that made it special for me. I'd been having tea all along the last few weeks, but tea with cream is quite a different thing altogether from tea without and while I sat there with that warm mug in my hand, I contemplated the notion of slowing down, of pondering the large and the small things in life, appreciating the quiet moments, along with my tea. I don't think we open ourselves up to savoring quite enough....it can't be done in a hurry, after all. I know that I need more of it in my life and am trying to cultivate it on a daily basis.

There is another week full of daily drawings over at MissouriBendMusings....I'll just post one of them here as a little incentive to check out the others, if you are so inclined. You'll notice the teabag fragments slipping back in. I missed the warmth of that mottled tea stained paper. Here's a favorite from this past week....

I'm in the final stages on a couple more pieces from the Notes From The Ancestors series. In the meantime, I realized I never showed you no.7, which is posted over at robertspizzuto.com.


I'm headed back down to the studio....I'm planning to savor the last couple of hours of quiet working time, letting the inner conversation reveal some fresh new insights. Have a wonderful week! Thanks so much for reading these words and supporting my work!!!


7 comments:

  1. quiet working time = bliss!
    by the way, I am a dairy avoiding vegetarian and have drunk my tea for many, many years with soya milk. It takes a while to find the brands that work well with tea (those with extra calcium ✓ those with vanilla ✗) but it tastes so much fresher and cleaner than using dairy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzie....sorry for such a late reply to your comment! Thanks for the tip on the tea! I have gone back to half and half in my tea, but may try a little soy at some point! I'm not a fan of vanilla flavoring anyway, so would still with regular!

      Delete
  2. I actually have time to savour, (we have slightly different spellings depending on where we live:)). I am lucky as I no longer go to work. I have just spotted some wonderful cloud formations and enjoyed spending that extra bit of time just looking!
    I love your work and I often feel inspired by it. I was going to ask and don't worry if you can't say, but did you use a silver pen for that delicious no7?

    Have a peaceful day!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue....Even having the time to savor (savour!) is something to savor. As you can see, I didn't even have time to comment this last week, much less do another blog post! I think a new round of savoring is in store in just a little while. Too bad, we think we have to make every moment productive....just sitting back and taking it all in is so good for you! Oh, and the very-late-in-responding answer to your question....no, no silver pen, just pencil! Glad you like it!

      Delete
  3. "Savor" -- I love that word!!! Its a word each of us should speak out loud upon waking up in the morning. Savor the day - the moment - everything around you and of course the tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it should be on the tip of our tongue as we wake up! So often we get wrapped up in our to-do lists, worries and insecurities! Hope you are savoring your day! Thanks for your faithful comments!!

      Delete
  4. ahhh, taking time to savor and just enjoy life and all the good things. for myself, i am intentional of reserving a day every week (sundays usually) for just that purpose. such a great reminder that we are not just making machines, even if what we make is art. i think the key in your tea story is going without for a little while. one thing that resets us and helps us appreciate all the things we normally take for granted.

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear from you...comments and questions are welcome!