Welcome to MissouriBendStudio!

This is an online journal of my artistic investigations and a way to communicate about my work, ideas, quandries and queries! I welcome comments and conversation and do hope you enjoy these musings. My artwork is available in my shop MissouriBendStudio on Etsy.com or on my website.

Translate

Friday, November 16, 2012

Craving Simplicity

Hello! It's good to be back after quite a long absence. Thank you all so much for the kind words and warm wishes after the death of my father-in-law. Life becomes very complicated after such a transition....negotiating transitions, trusts, estates, aging parents, etc.  Somehow all this will settle down again, but it's been somewhat overwhelming lately. I'm sure many of you can relate. With life so complicated, I've been craving moments of quiet and the simplicity of open space.

Navigations no.1

Navigations no.1 (detail)


Navigations no.2

Navigations no.2 (detail)

I have some long, narrow pieces of Japanese paper that have been lightly coated with beeswax and I made these two pieces in a time of quiet this morning. They are intentionally quite subtle, which unfortunately makes them very difficult to photograph. The first piece has two vintage buttons in either top corner and a fragment of a book page (also beeswaxed) that captures a bit of text and a blank margin....this little piece is stitched with multiple lines of off-white thread in the margin. That's all....quiet and simplicity. The second piece has a cut bit of old book page attached with horizontal rows of stitching. The shape is somewhat architectural....above it is a free-form shape of random stitches, something like a cloud. It is offset by a tiny pearl to the left. In the left corner another tiny text fragment is stitched....helping to hold it to a backing sheet.  Navigations is a working title for what may become a series. I'll be showing them on my website in the next day or so...

I like these simple, quiet explorations....at a time when I can't seem to feel in control of my life (always an illusion anyway, isn't it?) making these pieces helps me to create the quiet I crave. 

It's good to be back....I have missed the conversation and so value the friendship I've found here! Hope you all have a fine weekend. 





16 comments:

  1. this looks really intriguing…beautifully quiet and thoughtful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Suzie....the process is very meditative, so that sense of peace and quiet must be coming through!

      Delete
  2. The title of your post in my sidebar had me trotting over here pronto! This morning I re-posted this quote on Tumblr as I'm feeling the need for quiet and open space.
    "I came to a point where I needed solitude and just stop the machine of thinking and enjoying what they call living, I just wanted to lie in the grass and look at the clouds" - Jack Kerouac
    I can feel the calm in these pieces. Loving the small segment of stitching.... definitely a case of less is more.

    Hope you are feeling less overwhelmed soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robyn....what a wonderful quote by Kerouac...thanks for sharing it! Glad you like these calming (at least for me!) pieces....more underway. Hope you are able to achieve a little quiet space for yourself here and there!

      Delete
  3. I really like these quiet navigations.
    Looking forward to the series...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much....now that i think about it, there seems to be a definite kinship with your work....the simple, abstractions. So glad you like them!!

      Delete
  4. I know what you mean - I'm craving simplicity right now - am hoping as winter settles in my life will quiet down. I loved the random words on Navigation 1 because each one seemed to put a picture in my mind. Navigation 2 makes me think of a tall building with birds flying high above it. Thanks for bringing me a quiet moment this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny....yes, there is something magical about the text fragments....random bit of writing can be so evocative. I'm anxious to explore more possibilities with this series. Thank you for the kind words!

      Delete
  5. What beauty there is in peace. This paring down in outwardness is reflected in Navigations. The reduction is where the truth lays. I suspect you will find your way into a whole new place if you have the focus to stay present with your inward reflection and its outward expression. But beware of grasping too tightly. (I'm one to talk... it is so hard to really be present.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorraine...great to hear from you too....paring down and letting go does allow for a time of focus. But you're right, grasping too tightly is just a recipe for more stress! Hope you are well!

      Delete
  6. the title of your post drew me right in. what a superb sign of solidarity that we can all relate.

    you are spot on noting that control is always an illusion. i am inspired by your gentle letting go in these beautifully quiet pieces. thank you for sharing the calming meditations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anca....yes, no matter what our situation, I'm sure everyone can relate to needing some peace and quiet. I'm thinking that the series really should be called Meditations, as that's what they are! Glad you found some calm in the pieces! Cheers to you!

      Delete
  7. P-lovely quiet and simple way to find quietness and strength after a sad time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barry....thank you! Nothing like getting your hands moving to ease the stress of a complicated life! Best wishes to you and Fiona!

      Delete
  8. These are indeed beautiful, and I can relate to the desire to seek simplicity, especially after difficult events. I am sorry to hear of the passing of your Father-in-Law, and wishing you continued calm and serenity in your life and through your wonderful art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victoria, thank you so much for the kind words! Art making is essential for me, no matter what form it takes! Best wishes to you!

      Delete

I'm happy to hear from you...comments and questions are welcome!