Welcome to MissouriBendStudio!

This is an online journal of my artistic investigations and a way to communicate about my work, ideas, quandries and queries! I welcome comments and conversation and do hope you enjoy these musings. My artwork is available in my shop MissouriBendStudio on Etsy.com or on my website.

Translate

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Quality

A couple of weeks ago my husband came home with a couple of tubes of new watercolor paint from Daniel Smith for us to try out. He'd played with it a bit himself and thought I might like it for my daily drawings, so this week I took the lids off the tubes and began to play....



Oh....I was in love immediately! Something about the vibrant color, the richness and way it handled was unlike any other watercolors I'd ever tried. It was one of those moments when you realized that you were in the presence of true quality....and indeed these are from the line of Daniel Smith Extra Fine Watercolors. It made all my other art materials feel ashamed somehow and it made me wonder why I sometimes scrimp and don't use the highest quality materials. I know the reason, of course....money. I certainly don't use the cheapest materials and what I do use has a fair amount of quality, but these are in another class entirely. It's gotten me thinking about the notion of quality....in the food and drink we put in our bodies and everything we surround ourselves with...and indeed, what we put in our hands to help us express our inner mysteries to the world. I'm going to be buying these paints and expanding the practice and the art of connoisseurship in my life!

New dailies from MissouriBendMusings and no. 14 in the Notes From The Ancestors series to follow:

February 12

February 13

February 14

February 15

February 16

February 17


February 18

Notes From The Ancestors no.14

I'm a bit thrown off with the Presidents Day holiday here, but will be back on track and see you next Monday. Cheers!


6 comments:

  1. Quality is indeed important, in all things.
    I love each and every one of these, but the tree and rocks are my favorite. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie....so glad you are enamored with the work! Glad you mentioned your favorite, as I'm always curious if one stands out for someone....great to hear from you! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. I can't tell you how often I have meant to leave a comment on one of your visually inspiring posts...and I always find beauty in your words as well. The concept of quality is often on my mind, from the kitchen to the studio and everywhere in between. Offhand, I can't think of any situations in which I'd choose quantity over quality, but it seems this is so often the 'quality' that's emphasized these days.

    How exciting to have discovered a lovely new brand of watercolors - the results of your first pieces with them are stunning!

    - Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, how nice of you to take time to leave a comment. So pleased to hear you've been here before and that you've found the blog and the work meaningful. It is true, that our culture these days, does emphasize quantity in a big way. And we are all so busy that quality is less easy to achieve....but still worth the aim! Thanks so much for your wonderful comment! Cheers!

      Delete
  3. They look rich and deep and warm Patti, a great discovery and interesting how you immediately feel different when using them. I too like the rocks...Go well!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear from you...comments and questions are welcome!